Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Crockpot Cabbage Jambalaya

Here's the recipe I did for day one. I'll put up a picture next time I make it. I forgot to take one...

Crockpot Cabbage Jambalaya
recipe adapted from: http://www.recipe.com/chicken-jambalaya

Yield: 6 servings (well, me and mike servings that is...)

Notes from Marie: 
 - This is a good meal to have prepped in your fridge, so all you have to do is transfer it to your crockpot, turn it on low and got to work. Then, when you come home, add the rice and in 45 minutes... Dinner!
 - If you want a more extreme low-carb version, cut out the rice all together. That does mean you should add more seasoning to compensate too!
 - This does have a bit of a kick to it, but nothing too crazy! If you want to avoid the kick, just buy normal rice (brown if you want to stay along the healthy route) and add it. Again, add more of the seasonings to compensate.

Ingredients:
3 cups diced boneless skinless chicken breast I say 3 cups because if I say 3 chicken breasts, who knows how much chicken you will actually get. The chicken breasts they sell now are monstrous! I typically buy a pack of them, cut them all in half and then use those. I used three of my cut in half breasts, so choose whichever way you would like!
1 package of turkey kielbasa, cut in half & sliced (You could use turkey smoked sausage too)
2 diced bell peppers (I chose green, you pick whatever. FYI green is always cheaper!) 
1 medium yellow onion, diced 
1 - 14.5oz can of petite diced tomatoes
2 - 14.5oz cans chicken broth
2 cups shredded cabbage (Mine was a little blanched already because I used what was leftover after making my stuffed cabbage in this. You don't have to do that)
4oz (1/2 box) of Jambalaya rice mix (I used Zattaran's)
Seasonings:
Salt
Black Pepper (I have a pepper grinder and put peppercorns in it, so I have fresh ground pepper. I recommend this. It adds a different more delicious flavor!)
Cumin
Cayenne
Garlic Powder 

Directions:
1) Turn your crock pot on low. Add the diced peppers, onions and chicken. Then add the sausage and the cabbage.
2)Pour in the stock and the tomatoes. Be sure to drain the tomatoes!
3)Season with salt, pepper, cumin, cayenne and garlic powder. Not too much because there is some seasoning in the rice box. Stir everything together!
4)Cover and cook on low heat for 6 -8 hours. You could probably even let it go longer if necessary. The only item you have to worry about overcooking in this is the chicken, but it shouldn't be a big deal. If you want to eat it quicker (like I did), you can cook it on high for 3 hours.
5)Stir in rice. If you have it set on low, turn the heat up to high. Wait about 45 minutes for the rice to cook.
6)Dinner time! :)
 
Next time I make this:
 - I would love to do it as the longer prepped in the fridge version. This was handy because I put everything in the crockpot and let it cook while I was making other meals.
 - I also want to use actual chicken stock instead of broth (which I plan on making my own stock next time too).
 - I want to use even more cabbage and less rice next time. Mike however loved the amount of rice, so I might just left some boiled cabbage to the side so I can add it to my own.

I hope you like this recipe. If you have you own ideas and improvements to them, just comment so I can try them myself! :)

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment